Welcome to Discovery Elementary
We strive to touch the lives of children in a way that prepares them to take their place as citizens with high academic skills and fine moral character.
Vision for Discovery
Discovery staff will have high expectations for all.
The school will be a place where:
- Children take their jobs as learners seriously.
- Staff are professionals who go the extra mile to support children in this journey of learning.
- Parents feel welcome and are given opportunities to be involved in their child's education.
- There is an academic environment that teaches the whole child and treats children with dignity.
- We all get better each day.
Regular School Hours: 9:00 AM - 3:55 PM
Office Hours: 8:15 AM - 4:15 PM
In just two weeks (Strong Schools, Strong Communities ), voters across Kent County will consider whether to approve the proposal, a 10-year, 0.9 mill increase for a regional enhancement millage that will allow local school districts to strengthen our future workforce and develop and attract strong talent right here in West Michigan.
If approved, Kentwood Public Schools' would receive approximately $211 per student enrolled. For KPS, this would mean approximately $1.8 million each year for 10 years. 100% of the dollars raised from the enhancement millage will be dedicated to the classrooms for teaching and learning with an emphasis on supporting our goals of kindergarten readiness, third grade reading proficiency, 8th grade math proficiency and college-career readiness.
Other plans for the additional revenue could include:
- With the K-3 reading law we will need additional dollars to assure we have intentional lessons for all K-3 students. In order to accomplish this, we will need to reduce teacher student ratio or class size.
- We hope to use the funds to add KSSN to the remainder of our buildings.
- Another goal would be to add counselors and provide additional funds to help with EL program improvements.
- We hope to use the funds to stabilize and/or reduce class sizes District-wide
- We hope to expand Career Tech Education opportunities at the Secondary level
- We hope to increase technology support staff
Learn more at: strongschoolsstrongcommunities.com